A stable pharmacy belongs to the basic equipmentsture of every horse owner. Smaller injuries can be treated in a few steps and in case of emergency you can bridge the time until the vet arrives. For a better overview, we provide a checklist of things that absolutely belong in a stable pharmacy.
The stable pharmacy – the correct handling
Regardless of the content, in the context of the stable pharmacy, there are a few items to
Pay attention to:
– Expiration dates of the medicines must be checked regularly
– Ointments and bottles must be tightly closed after use
– The contents must be well protected from dirt and moisture (for this purpose, for example, a sturdy cleaning box is suitable)
First aid – what to look out for?
Proper handling of breaches is also important:
– Incorrectly applied bandages can quickly cause tissue damage to the horse's leg
– Dressing material must always be cut cleanly with stainless, curved bandage scissors
– Best still with clean hands or disposable gloves
The contents – what belongs in the first aid kit?
– Self-fastening bandages: latex bandages have the advantage of being slightly supportive and protective and do not allow fluids to pass through them. A disadvantage is that they can be used only once. Adhesive bandages, on the other hand, also provide support and are self-adhesive, but they do not stick to the coat. Disadvantage: they are permeable to liquids.
Bandaging absorbent cotton: serves to bandage wounds
– Gauze compresses, also called bandage gauze
– Sterile compresses (10 x 10 cm): suitable for cleaning wound edges
– Non-sterile compresses: serve to apply ointments or temporarily pad out frog furrows
– Gauze bandages: best in different widths, serve to fix compresses in place
– Sterile wound covering
Fabric bandage: for hoof bandages and co.
– Plastic or garbage bags: for garbage disposal or temporary protection from outside dirt
– Plaster adhesive tape: wide, for fixing bandages
– Spray plaster: for a transparent and flexible wound cover, against the penetration of bacteria, dirt, etc.
– Disinfectant wipes
Wound ointment: for wound disinfection and prevention of wound infections
– Zinc-containing ointment or even better zinc spray: helps heal wounds
– First-aid medication such as COLOSAN: if the horse is prone to fecal water or colic
Mineral earth or kaolin paste: for stressed tendons, ligaments, muscles and joints
ATTENTION! Have composition of medicines. Observe the waiting times.
– bandage scissors (curved, stainless)
– Normal scissors
Nose brake: this can be used to immobilize the horse at the vet, farrier or even when clipping the horse. The loop is placed around the upper lip of the horse. Tightened by turns of the wooden handle. Often this unpleasant image is associated with pain, but only endorphins are released, which suppress the sensation of pain. This can indirectly protect the horse from injuries caused by excessive defensive movements.
– Disposable gloves
Digital thermometer: It is advisable to attach a string to the end of the thermometer to prevent it from disappearing into the horse's intestines.
– Disposable syringes to administer medicines
– Disposable razors to remove hair from wound edges
– Clean towels
– Telephone list with the most important numbers
Fever in horses: recognize and measure
The correct handling of horses
Horse lame – what to do?
Use of the stable pharmacy
To stay fit in dealing with wounds and diseases and z.B. The correct application
Of bandages, it is a good idea to take first aid courses from veterinarians or
Visit aid organizations. Meanwhile there are many providers who also offer online courses
Carry out on this subject.
In order for the veterinarian to get a clear picture of the situation before arriving, it is important to have
Helpful to be able to describe the condition of the horse in detail. As a guide
PAT values are used for this purpose, where P stands for pulse, A for respiration and T for temperature:
Feel on the metatarsal or mandibular artery
Observe nostril and flank movement
37.0-38.0 degrees Celsius
Measuring with a clinical thermometer
The contribution developed with friendly support of Krämer equestrian sport. Suitable accessories around your stable pharmacy you find here.