Whether you're a new player or returning from previous games like GTA San Andreas, we all encounter some errors when installing new games. In this guide we will show you how to fix a bug that puts GTA V into windowed mode every time you launch it.
Here are 3 things you can do if Grand Theft Auto 5 is not in full screen mode or stays that way.
Solution 1: Try common keyboard shortcuts to put GTA V into full screen mode
Some common keyboard shortcuts for full-screen mode on PC are [F11] and pressing [Alt] [Enter] at the same time in a video game. This will force GTA V to go into full screen mode or exit it. Try these keyboard shortcuts the next time you play GTA V and see if they work for you.
This is a quick and easy fix that works in most cases. However, try our next suggestions if you still can't enjoy Los Santos in full screen mode.
Solution 2: Use GTA V's in-game graphics settings to enable full-screen mode.
You can activate the full screen mode by adjusting your game settings. Start the game and follow these steps:
1. Find your settings in the start menu and select [Graphics].
2. If you are already in story or online mode, simply press the pause button to access your settings. This is usually the [Esc] key.
3. Select [Full Screen] or [Window (borderless)] in the graphics settings to play your game in full screen mode.
4. Select [Resolution] and choose 1920 x 1080 for fuzzy playback.
For some users, the "borderless window" mode brings better FPS performance in GTA, so if it works better for you, stick with it.
If 1920 x 1080 doesn't work well for you in full screen mode, it could be that your optimal resolution is different. To check this, let's take a look at your display settings.
To check the recommended resolution settings
1. Right click on an empty space on your desktop and select [Display Settings].
2. Scroll down and look for [Scale and Layout].
3. Make sure you use the recommended settings for the scale.
4. Below this you will find [Screen Resolution], set this to your recommended settings. This will be the native resolution of your PC.
Solution 3: Run GTA V in compatibility mode
If you have tried the above two solutions but GTA V could not switch to full-screen mode properly, we recommend you to run GTA V in compatibility mode. To do this, you need to find the original program file of GTA V and edit its properties.
1. Find out where you have GTA V installed. – C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V – C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V – C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\GTAV
2. Right click on the game exe of GTA V and select [Properties].
3. Click on the [Compatibility] tab and select the checkbox in compatibility mode.
4. Save your settings by clicking [OK].
5. Launch GTA V and set it to full-screen mode with solution 1 or 2.
There you have it, several ways to make your GTA V play on full screen. Now that your monitor is displaying GTA 5 in full screen mode, you might want to check your FPS while playing GTA 5. If you happen to also experience a full screen bug in World of Tanks, read our simple methods for full screen World of Tanks guide here.