Before the first big drive with the new used car, it must be registered. Since this is not an everyday and therefore familiar activity, you will find here the necessary information concerning the registration of a still registered or already deregistered used vehicle in your name.
Have registered vehicle transferred to a new vehicle owner Transfer journey is not possible? What documents are required?
Have deregistered vehicles transferred to a new vehicle owner The vehicle is not located nearby? Which documents are needed?
It's even easier with i-Kfz Frequently asked questions about the registration of used cars
Registered vehicle can be transferred to a new vehicle owner
A vehicle is not always already deregistered when it is sold. The simplest procedure is then to agree with the previous owner on a transfer journey. Under them, the vehicle is driven from the place of collection to the registration office and can then be re-registered. Important: The cover note of the car insurance is already needed at this stage, so that the no-claims bonus of the seller is not affected in the event of a possible accident. Insurance companies offer special conditions for the purpose of transferring a vehicle.
The transfer journey is not possible?
A transfer drive is not always possible. Be it because the registration office is closed on the day the vehicle is scheduled to be picked up or because the previous owner of the vehicle does not want to get involved with it. However, there is a certain time limit within which the vehicle can be re-registered. This period should be specified in the contract, usually a period of three days is agreed upon. This refers to working days, if the deadline starts on a Friday or at the weekend, it will be set accordingly longer. If the buyer uses the vehicle before the re-registration and causes an accident with it, the seller is not liable for it. This is precisely why it is important to keep a written record. Signature by both parties) of the agreed period so important. The seller can use this to clear himself of his debt. Send a copy of the contract directly to the insurance company. This applies regardless of an accident – the purchase agreement can be sent to the insurance company directly after signing, so that the insurance company is informed of the pending change of ownership.
Car license plate carbon look
Seasonal license plate
Which documents are required?
For the transfer of a vehicle that has not yet been deregistered, the following documents are required:
– ✅ Registration certificates Parts I and II – ✅ eVB number – ✅ ID card or passport with current registration certificate – ✅ Signed SEPA mandate for vehicle tax – ✅ Proof of current main inspection – ✅ Old license plates and any other required documentation. New license plates (in the case of desired license plates) – ✅ in the case of company registrations: Business registration and excerpt from the commercial register – ✅ If represented by an authorized representative: written power of attorney from the future vehicle owner, ID card or passport of the authorized representative and of the vehicle owner – ✅ For associations: Extract from the register of associations
Deregistered vehicles can be transferred to a new vehicle owner
The vehicle can be re-registered immediately after the purchase agreement has been concluded. The new owner obtains the vehicle documents and goes to the registration office. Here there are new license plates, which could also have been reserved previously. After the formalities have been completed, the license plates can be attached to the vehicle. The vehicle can be driven on public roads.
The vehicle is not in the vicinity?
Short-term license plates are available for the transfer of such a used vehicle. These can be used for a maximum of five days. Can be obtained from any registration office. Short-term license plates are issued regardless of the new vehicle owner's place of residence! In any case, a confirmation of coverage from the vehicle insurance company is required.
What documents are required?
In order to have a vehicle that has already been deregistered transferred, these documents are required:
– ✅ Registration certificates Parts I and II – ✅ eVB number of the insurance company – ✅ Valid ID card or passport with certificate of registration – ✅ Signed SEPA mandate for vehicle tax – ✅ Proof of current main inspection – ✅ Deregistration certificate if the vehicle was decommissioned before the 1. October 2005 – ✅ for company registrations: Business registration and excerpt from the commercial register – ✅ If represented by an authorized representative: written power of attorney from the future vehicle owner, identity card or passport of the authorized representative and the vehicle owner – ✅ For associations: Extract from the register of associations
It is even easier with i-Kfz
Since October 2019, it has been possible to re-register a vehicle online. This is particularly easy if it is still registered, because the change of keeper can be carried out completely via the online portal of the registration office. The new owner submits the application for transfer in the portal. Receives a provisional registration notice delivered to its electronic mailbox. The final documents are sent by post.
The re-registration can also be done online. For this purpose, a new identity card with electronic ID function must be available, because with this the own identity is confirmed. Important: This option is only available for vehicles registered for the first time after 2015! They have security codes in the registration certificates parts I and II, which are necessary for the transfer of ownership. These codes will be requested during the transfer process. The new license plates can also be applied for online, but the final review of the application is done by an employee of the registration authority. The registration notice with the necessary stickers for the license plates is sent by mail.
Frequently asked questions about the registration of used cars
– 1. What documents must the former vehicle owner hand over? The previous vehicle owner must hand over the registration certificates Part I and II, as well as the proof that the main inspection has been carried out. In addition, it needs a certificate of immobilization if the vehicle was registered before 1. Deregistered on or after October 2005. For younger vehicles, the corresponding note can be found on the registration certificate Part I.
– 2. Can the re-registration be carried out by another person? Yes, the transfer is possible through an authorized representative. This person must identify himself with his identity card or passport. Requires these identification documents also from the future vehicle owner. A written power of attorney must also be provided.
– 3. Is the transfer also possible online? Yes, thanks to the introduction of i-Kfz as of October 2019, both the transfer of vehicles that are still registered and the transfer of vehicles that have already been deregistered are possible online. However, in the case of deregistered vehicles, the application is still checked manually before the necessary documents and stamp stickers are sent out. The service for deregistered vehicles is only available for vehicles registered after 1 January 2009. Vehicles registered for the first time on January 2015.
– 4. Who is liable in the event of an accident involving a vehicle that has not yet been re-registered? If the vehicle has not yet been re-registered when it is picked up, the new owner should obtain a confirmation of coverage from his insurance company. In the event of an accident, the new vehicle owner is liable. Without written regulations and confirmation of coverage, the accident will be charged to the no-claims bonus of the previous owner.
– 5. Can a vehicle be picked up from the seller without prior re-registration? Yes, the collection is possible. However, seller and buyer should agree on a deadline for re-registration and put it in writing. The signed contract should be sent by the seller to his insurance company to indicate the change of ownership.